Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pace Yourself

Yesterday I decided I wanted to go running. I hadn't just gone running in awhile and I figured I might as well since I had time. So I went out to the mountain Bike course at MCC.

Now I've walked the Black Diamond one before, but this time I decided I'd jog it out. It's about 2 miles, and I can run two miles. I thought it'd be a piece of cake.

So I started out at a nice jog. Just kind of cruisin'. I had gone probably a tenth of a mile when I got to the first big hill.

Now this hill is incredibly steep. You know in cartoon when they have the mountain, and the path zig-zags up it at like a 45 degree angle, that's what this hill is like. So I started up the hill. I'm pumpin' my legs, keepin' on my toes. Pretty soon my legs start to burn; I mean fire. I had made it up the second little incline (there are four) and I had to stop. My legs just couldn't take it.

So I decided I'd give it up and go home.

I was walkin' down when I thought, "I can make it up that hill." So when I got to the bottom I tried it again. This time though, I didn't do it at a sprint. I took my time. I paced myself. I got to the top.

It was beautiful.

I just stood there listening to the silence and looking around at the trees. That's when it hit me.

This is what it's always like the week after camp. We get so pumped up for God, we get to passionate; that when we get back home we take everything at a sprint. We just charge the world like we're ready to take on hell with a water pistol. Then we get burnt out. Whether its our friends makin' fun of us, or ignoring us. Whether its family issues. It just doesn't seem to matter, we always lose steam and get burnt out before we get to the top, before we crest the hill.

This is my word of encouragement for you. Don't let yourself get burnt out these next few weeks, don't lose all the ground you made with God in your life last week. Take your time. Take little steps. Start a 5 minutes quiet time in the morning. Start a little prayer list of your own to help you keep track of what you need to be praying for. Get a friend who you can trust, and create an accountability partner.

Don't lose your passion for Christ just because you burn yourself out this week. Pace yourself. Nurture that passion, and watch it grow. These first few weeks will be hard, but the reward will be amazing.

After I crested that hill, I just walked the rest of the path. It was so beautiful. It was hard for me to believe that I almost missed out on all of that just because I tried to sprint up that hill instead of pacing myself.

Don't miss out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...that was SOOO true! And it explains what always happens to me, it never fails...Im so on fire for God after these things and slowly my fire gets put out and the effort becomes less and less. It is hard because I am the worlds biggest procrastinator...you know, the one that says "Oh, I'll do it tommorrow"...yet tommorrow never comes! But this blog was very encouraging, and made me realize that if I just pace myself, it will be easier, and I wont resault in giving up!

Wow...God just NEVER ceases to amaze me!

Your Sister in Christ,
Katrina

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» »

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home