Saturday, July 15, 2006

Time to Brag

Yesterday my family and I went to go pick up my brother from String Camp.

For those of you who didn’t know it, my little brother plays the viola (a bigger, beefier violin instrument). He had chosen to go to String Camp so he could be with his buds and also get some more exposure to the strings.

The whole week they practice alone and together as an orchestra, they take lessons on theory and conducting and lit, and they get to have good old fashioned fun. Every year though, they have a concert on the last night.

I love the concert. It’s the only part of orchestra that a musically ignorant soul, such as I, can truly enjoy. Orchestral music is beautiful. I love it. (If you are curious about classical music but don’t know what to listen to I recommend listening to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack.)

This will be Mikey’s 5th year in Orchestra. I remember when he first started… all he played was”Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star”. Oh I got so sick of that stinkin’ song! But now he’s gotten so good. It’s really a joy to listen to him play now.

For the concert, the last piece his orchestra played was “Symphony No. 8-Finale” by Dvorak. That is one of Mikey’s favorite pieces to play, and he was so scared that they were going to mess it up because they had rushed it every time they practiced it all week long.

They nailed it! It was amazing. Definitely one of the best performances he’s ever done.

So Mikey, I tip my hat to you.

Good job little bro!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home