Monday, July 24, 2006

C-C-C-C-Courage...

Last night for our youth worship service, instead of having the normal sermon-ish type setting, we had a discussion. What we really ended up focusing on was courage to talk about Christ in school and why it's so hard to do that.

It was a really neat discussion, and I was surprised at how we approached it. This morning when I was headin' over to Leal's (if you live in Waco then you know that that is the best place in the world to get a breakfast burrito) a song came on...

What are we sneaking around for?
Who are we trying to please?
Shrugging off sin, apologizing
like we're spreading some kind of disease.

That really got me thinking. I know that through my own personal highschool experience, I did almost try to hide the fact that I was a christian. I was proud to be a christian, but I was scared to bring the subject up around my friends. I didn't hang out with the "partiers", the "druggies",and the "drinkers" because of the fact that I was a christian. But I was afraid to bring up that subject around my real friends, the people that I cared about.

Why did I do that? Why was it so hard for me to bring up the subject of My God and My Savior?

I honestly can't answer that question, and I know that I missed some great opportunities to share Christ with people because of my lack of courage.

The song continues on like this (you may recognize this part if you didn't remember that last section)...

I'm saying, "No way. No way."
I'm not ashamed to let you know
I want this light in me to show.
I'm not ashamed to speak the name of Jesus Christ.
I like how it says that "I'm saying, 'No Way!'"
I am not going to be afraid any more. I have nothing to fear anyways. Fear is mortal, but God is immortal. Fear is physical, but God isn't physical. I have nothing to fear because I have God on my side, and I know that everything that happens, happens to glorify his name.
For those of you who are still in highschool, this could possibly be your single biggest ministry opportunity. Don't have regrets because you were just a little to timid to share Christ with your friends. Say "No way. Not anymore. I'm not ashamed to speak the name of my Jesus Christ."

2 Comments:

Blogger Attempting To Follow The Way said...

Allen I know how you feel about missing opportunities to shar eGod's love for us w/ our friends. I just thank God that I still have another year left in high school to tell my friends what God has done in my life. Good luck @ MCC man, that's another huge mission field to work in.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Floating beach chair

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home