Thursday, July 20, 2006

On turning 18

Yesterday was my 18th birthday (applause here). Thank you, thank you. But I must say that it really wasn't all that different from any other day.

I don't really know what I was expecting really, I mean I didn't think that on my 18th birthday I would all of a sudden by endowed with great wisdom. I didn't expect a card in the mail from the government saying "Congratulations, you have reached adulthood!". But I guess that I was expecting something, even though I'm not sure what it was.

Maybe I was expecting more respect, but then I realized everyone whom I care about respecting me already does. Or maybe I was expecting to be treated more like an adult, but again, everyone whom I care about treating me like an adult already does (for the most part).

But as of yesterday I can vote, buy lottery tickets, and use tobacco, but there is no election right now, I don't wanna waste my money on the lotto, and I simply deplore tobacco. So as of yesterday I can do nothing remarkable that I couldn't do two days ago.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I mean I really did have an awesome day. I got to spend all day at church with my friends and some family. I got to play around with a ton of little kids at VBS. I got to go to Mr. Snow (the best snow-cones in Waco). I got see my girlfriend. It really was a great birthday.

So here I am, three days older than two days ago, but now I'm 18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home